Friday, October 10, 2008

Nothing but Nets

I saved lives today, and so can you! I was sitting up in my room here at Santitham during the wee hours of the morning, wrapping up my studies for the GRE and the mandatory culture course every prospective English teacher must take before accepting any positions here in Thailand, and I decided I'd watch a little Colbert Report before sleep. Both the Report and Daily Show are shown for free on Comedy Central's website in any foreign country, so Jon and Steve often tuck me into bed during these restless Siamese nights.
Anyhow, I was watching an old episode from early September that featured an interview with Rick Reilly, one of my favorite journalists and columnist for ESPN magazine. He was discussing a charity he helped found that was helping to fight malaria in countries all over Africa, and which was now starting to spread its support to other countries in the world, such as Thailand. On the charity's website, NothingButNets.net, you can donate $10 to buy a mosquito net for some poor kid in Africa to sleep under at night. In fact, the nets are so big they could probably cover an entire family of Africans. The $10 also pays for someone to come to the home and install the net, and it only took me about 30 seconds to do. You see, 3000 Africans a day, mostly children, are dying from this disease, and let me tell you, I'm starting to feel the fear. I wake up every day over here to dozens of satiated mosquitos buzzing around my guest house, and the only thing I have to protect myself is this little mosquito trap that you plug into the wall, looks almost like a smoke alarm. I don't know what it does or how it works, but hopefully it's keeping me out of the malaria clinic. I don't seem to be getting bit too much, but I'd feel a lot safer with one of those big ass nets over my bed. I donated $30, so maybe one of those three nets will show up at my door. If not, oh well, I saved three Ethiopians. You should, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment